Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Disk backup strategy advice / help

2012-01-04 07:45:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Disk backup strategy advice / help
From: keith <keith AT scott-land DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:16:55 +0000
I have Bacula 5.2.3 up and running and need some advice with the following

I used this tutorial
http://bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Automated_Disk_Backup.html as a starting
point and it's working well and I have backups appearing as follows...

460M Dec 29 23:19 Full-0001
26.3G Dec 30 23:52 Full-0003

702M    Dec 24 23:05 Inc-0001
10.0G    Dec 30 01:54 Inc-0002
2.3G      Dec 31 00:06 Inc-0004
3.1G      Dec 31 00:56 Inc-0005
611M    Dec 31 00:56 Inc-0006

Now that the backups seems to be working I need to figure out how to
implement an offsite strategy, I want to use a combination of removable
disks and rsync to do this.

     I want to use removable disks to take a backup offsite either
weekly or forthnightly. (Just copy that most recent Full-XXXX file to
the removable disk)
     I would like to rsync the daily INC & Weekly Diff backups offsite
if possible (100MB Link).

My plan is that for complete recovery I will use a combination of the
full backup that i will get from the Removable disks and the Rsync'd INC
/ Diff

If I add a new server to be backed up to Bacula midweek it does a full
backup in the INC pool. This might be a big backup and screw-up my Rsync
job.

Does this seem like a good idea and goes anyone know how keep Full
backups out of the INC or DIFF pool

Thanks
Keith