Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] differential backups with xfs/x86-64?

2012-01-10 05:21:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] differential backups with xfs/x86-64?
From: "IEM - network operating center (IOhannes m zmoelnig)" <noc AT iem DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:44:25 +0100
(sorry if this comes thru as a dupe; i first sent this mail from an
unsubscribed account)

hi all,

i have a problem with bacula and incremental/differential backups
from an XFS filesystem.
to put it simple: bacula always creates full backups.

the long story:
we deployed bacula to backup our users' directory a while ago (that was
bacula-2.2.4 or so) and had good success so far (thanks, btw)
back then, the homedirectory on the fileserver (running debian/i386 with
bacula-fd) was a 2TB partition using ext3.
the backupserver (running debian/i386 with bacula-dir (postgresql) and
bacula-sd) stores all data on an DLT-S4 autochanger with a capacity of 12TB.
incremental backups of the user' homedirectories typically took less
than 30GB each day.
unfortunately our users filled up the homedirectory, so we decided to
upgrade the fileserver, and it now has a capacity of 20TB. since there
are no ext4 userland tools to handle such a capacity, we are now using
xfs as the filesystem. the fileserver is now also running an x86_64
system (still debian).
the new fileserver runs bacula-5.0.2 (as packaged for debian), so we had
to upgrade the backup-server from the originally used bacula-2.4.4 to
bacula-5.0.2; the upgrade had some problems (regarding the postgresql db
update), but it seems to have succeeded.
at least all the other servers that are being backed up, are doing fine.
these servers are running bacula-2.4.4 and bacula-2.2.8

unfortunately, the backup of the new fileserver makes problems:
there are 2 jobs for this server, one doing a system backup, and the
other one doing the backup of the users' homes.
the system backup seems to work fine, but the homes fail to do
incremental backups.
after an initial full backup started last wednesday (which consumed
1.33TB), an incremental backup was started on friday (which also
consumed 1.33TB, and is virtually identical to the full backup just
made); another incremental backup just started and has currently
consumed 280GB, indicating that it is running yet _another_ backup of
the entire fileset.

i wonder what went wrong?
i suspect that the problem is related to the use of XFS and/or to the
fileserver now being 64bit.

below you can find some technical info.

any help is appreciated.
esp. since i simply cannot afford to spend a DLT tape each day....

mfgasdr
IOhannes

bacula specific information
===------------------------
according to [2] i collected the directoris configuration and the output
of "list jobs" and "llist" for the Full-job and the Incr-job (that
wrongly did a full backup again). find them in the attached tgz.

operating systems
=----------------
backupserver$ uname -a
Linux backup.server 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 04:23:54 UTC 2011 i686
GNU/Linux
fileserver$ uname -a
Linux file.server 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 3 03:41:26 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

inode size
=---------
i compiled the following little program as found on [1] on both my
backupserver and my fileserver:
<snip>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
struct stat s;
printf("Size of inode is %d bytes\n\n", sizeof(s.st_ino));
return 0;
}
</snip>

results:
fileserver  : Size of inode is 8 bytes
backupserver: Size of inode is 4 bytes

XFS on the fileserver
=--------------------
root@fileserver# xfs_info /dev/vda
meta-data=/dev/vda     isize=256    agcount=20, agsize=268435455 blks
         =             sectsz=512   attr=2
data     =             bsize=4096   blocks=5119999991, imaxpct=5
         =             sunit=0      swidth=0 blks
naming   =version 2    bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0
log      =internal     bsize=4096   blocks=521728, version=2
         =             sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none         extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

links
=----

[1]
http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-external-mailing-lists-3/bacula-25/bacula-xfs-and-inode64-98549/