Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up lvm snapshots?

2011-09-19 18:39:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up lvm snapshots?
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Tobias Schenk <tobias AT die-schenks DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 02:36:51 +0400
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:15:02PM +0200, Tobias Schenk wrote:

> thank you for the comments regarding readlink. Unfortunately, it
> does not work :(
> if I do:
> bash>readlink /dev/vmguests/backup
> I get:
> ../dm-6
>
> I was suspicous about the relative path but this can be healed by adding -f:
> bash>readlink -f /dev/vmguests/backup
> /dev/vmguests/dm-6
>
> With this new weapon I changed the File = directive as described in
> your mails: File = "| readlink /dev/vmguests/backup".
> I open bconsole, do reload, do run, select job ... and get 89 bytes
> backuped.
> ( I tested also the -f variant)
>
> I cross checked by changing File= "/dev/dm-6". This saves 4.4GB of data.
>
> My guess is that the link does not yet exist when the Fileset is parsed.
> How can I find out about this. Can I raise the log level to see the
> parsed version of File= ?
Let's quote the manual:

"Any name beginning with a vertical bar () is assumed to be the name of
a program. This program will be executed on the Director's machine at
the time the Job starts (not when the Director reads the configuration
file), and any output from that program will be assumed to be a list of
files or directories, one per line, to be included."

The "run before job" scripts are run before the job is considered to be
started, so you have to make sure the snapshot device is created in that
"run before job type" script.