Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up lvm snapshots?

2011-09-26 14:35:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up lvm snapshots?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:33:46 -0400
On 9/20/2011 5:40 AM, Adrian Reyer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 05:47:34PM +0200, Tobias Schenk wrote:
>> I try use bacula 5.0.3 on suse linux to backup lvm snapshots.
>> I cannot simply mount /dev/dm-6 to somewhere because the contents is a
>> partitioned raw device of a kvm instance.
> You could check the path with something like 'ls -l'.
> On the other hand, you could use 'kpartx' and make the snapshots
> partitions actually mountable if you 'speak' the used filesystem. The
> benefit would be you only backup teh changed files in an incremental
> backup instead of having to save the whole image even with one byte
> changed.
> In my installations I ahd always been able to just run a baclua-fd
> inside the KVM, though.

Yes, running bacula-fd in the VM should certainly be considered. It
offers several advantages. For one thing, it is far simpler to restore a
file to a running VM. In my case, the VMs run in a Pacemaker cluster
with LVs on DRBD storage, so trying to backup LVM snapshots on the node
that the VM happens to be running on was far more complex than just
running bacula-fd in the VMs.