Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Who is right about the tape size: Bacula or the tapeloader??

2011-09-03 04:01:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Who is right about the tape size: Bacula or the tapeloader??
From: Andrea Conti <alyf AT alyf DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 09:59:13 +0200
> 2: Nor should "Maximum Block Size" - this is imposing significant
> overheads all by itself and is intended for old-school tape drives using
> fixed block sizes.

I think your're talking about "Minimum Block Size" here.

"Maximum Block Size", on the other hand, does not impose any space
overhead as it lets Bacula write blocks of any size *up to* the given value.

Moreover, the default max block size is 64k, which for everything faster
than LTO2 is way too small and will probably prevent you from attaining
the rated transfer rate of the drive, data spooling notwithstanding.

For LTO3 we use Maximum Block Size = 512k.

You might also want to set Maximum File Size to 2GB or more.

andrea