Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Who is right about the tape size: Bacula or the tapeloader??

2011-09-01 10:28:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Who is right about the tape size: Bacula or the tapeloader??
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: s.guenther AT in-put DOT de
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:25:39 -0400
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Stefan Michael Guenther
<s.guenther AT in-put DOT de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are using a Tandberg autchanger with eight LTO3 tapes, which could save
> 400/800 GB of data.
>
> Herre is the definition of the device in bacula-sd.conf:
>
> Device {
>  Name = Drive-1
>  Media Type = Ultrium-LTO3
>  Archive Device = /dev/st0
>  AutomaticMount = yes;
>  AlwaysOpen = yes;
>  RemovableMedia = yes;
>  RandomAccess = no;
>  AutoChanger = yes
>  Spool Directory = /var/spool/bacula
>  Maximum Spool Size = 100G
>  Maximum Block Size = 65536
>  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
> }
>
> and one of the volume definitions:
>
> Pool {
>  Name = Mittwoch
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes
>  AutoPrune = yes
>  Volume Retention = 8 days
>  Maximum Volume Bytes = 800G
>  Maximum Volumes = 2
>  Maximum Volume Jobs = 18
>  RecyclePool = Mittwoch
> }

Get rid of the Maximum Volume Bytes. 800 GB is not the limit for LTO3.
Remember 800GB is just the inflated manufacturer expected capacity
when in reality you may fit 400GB on a single tape or 3TB depending on
how compressible your data set is.

> But no matter which tape we use, after 240 - 250 GB of data Bacula want's us
> to change the tape, because it is reported as full.
>
> How can we find out whether Bacula or the Tapeloader uses the wrong size for
> the tapes?

First of all bacula does not understand or care about how much data a
tape technology is supposed to hold. It makes no difference to bacula
if you are using DLT, DDS, LTO ... they are all handled the same. If
you do not impose a limit on how many bytes that bacula can write to a
tape bacula will write as many bytes as it can up until it hits the
first tape write error. At this point bacula assumes the tape is full.
Check your dmesg to see if there are any problems. Also try a brand
new LTO3 tape.

John