Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.0.3 doesn't restore client wndows xp on usb disk.

2011-08-30 05:07:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5.0.3 doesn't restore client wndows xp on usb disk.
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:04:36 +0400
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:22:06 -0700
man_in_the_hill <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> I give you more informations about my conf and one job backup and one
> job restore.
[...]
> restore_job_by_bconsole (http://pastebin.com/W5qJP0py)
>
> backup_folder_after_backup_and_restore_job
> (http://pastebin.com/mJaaaeWV)
[...]

It's still hard to make guesses in your case because you consistently
refrain from telling what is the expected outcome of your actions.
But since in the "backup_folder_after_backup_and_restore_job" snippet
you showed an empty "/mnt/backup/bacula/irris/cristal2-restores" folder
you supposedly wanted the restored files to appear there.

If yes, this is wrong and you're missing an important idea about how
restoring works: when Bacula is told to restore one or more files, the
job not only specifies the fileset and the directory to restore, but
the *target* file daemon, and the directory to restore designates a
place on the *target* file daemon not on your director, your SD or
whatever.

In the "restore_job_by_bconsole" snippet you can clearly see what is
the restore client for the job -- at line 75, and this is your Windows
FD. The "where" path gets interpreted relative to that machine's
%systemdrive% (as Pieter (NL) already showed you).

Hence if you want to restore some files from that client's backup
somewhere *not* on that client itself, specify the "Restore client" to
be another FD (but this has to be FD).  It worth repeating that the
"Where" parameter of the restore job is interpreted relative to the
target FD.  You can change any parameter of a restore job about to be
run by selecting "mod" instead of "yes" (see line 81).