Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Schedules, Full runs and incremental runs

2011-08-30 05:05:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Schedules, Full runs and incremental runs
From: Christoph Weber <weber AT mfo DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:02:52 +0200
Hello Bacula-List,

I've got a little problem with the understanding of schedules.

I want Bacula to do a full backup once a month on specific dates, which
is the monday followed on the last friday of a month, during normal
week-days I want to have an incremental run.

Schedule {                                 # optional
   Name = vm-backup-incremental_schedule    # required
   Run = Full jan 31 at 1:00
   Run = Full feb 28 at 1:00
   Run = Full mar 28 at 1:00
   Run = Full may 02 at 1:00
   Run = Full may 30 at 1:00
   Run = Full jun 27 at 1:00
   Run = Full aug 01 at 1:00
   Run = Full aug 29 at 1:00
   Run = Full oct 02 at 1:00
   Run = Full oct 30 at 1:00
   Run = Full nov 27 at 1:00
   Run = Full jan 01 at 1:00
   Run = Incremental mon-fri at 2:00
}

The problem is, that I have a full run and an incremental run scheduled
on the same day, at 1:00 and 2:00 and the incremental run at 2:00 is not
an increment of the 1:00 full backup, but an increment of the last
incremental backup preceding the full backup.

On the friday before the full tape backup with bacula, I run a VMware
full backup which produces several big files, so I have a lot of new
data (~1TB) which is now backuped twice with bacula, once with the full
backup and once with the incremental backup.

I could run the full backup one day before on sunday, but I cannot be
sure that it'll be finished before the incremental backup on monday.

So how can I achieve that the incremental run is an increment of the
full backup and not of the last incremental run?

regards,
Christoph Weber