Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] removing indexes on File table

2011-08-01 11:38:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] removing indexes on File table
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:36:03 +0100
Hi,

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> It looks to me like I should remove the indexes "PathId" and "FilenameID",
> leaving the PRIMARY, JobId and jobid_index.  Does that seem correct?

Oooh.  I think I'm close to shouting Eureka.  Having dropped those indexes
(indices?), the same restore now takes about 6-7 minutes to build a tree of
6 million files instead of 25 minutes and more.  A 1 million file tree
takes under 2 minutes.  This leaves me a little slower than the graph on
the wiki page, but it's manageable nonetheless and is in the same ball park.

The MYI file for that database has dropped from 4.1GB to 2.8GB.

gavinmc@cuimhne:~$ sudo ls -lh /var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYI
/var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYD
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 6.7G 2011-08-01 15:50 /var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYD
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 2.8G 2011-08-01 15:59 /var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYI

http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq#restore_takes_a_long_time_to_retrieve_sql_results_from_catalog

It looks like my day is made.  Sincere thanks to mnalis who appears to have put
that entry into the FAQ and to Eric and the others who worked on researching
this :-)

Gavin