Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] removing indexes on File table

2011-08-01 09:06:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] removing indexes on File table
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Bacula Users List <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:04:12 +0100
Hi,

I've reported before that we've had very slow restores, due to the time taken
to build the file tree for the console -- which is about 20+ minutes.

http://adsm.org//lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-11/msg00000.html

I've been looking at this again, particularly at a bug that had some
interesting debugging and at the FAQ page.

http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq#restore_takes_a_long_time_to_retrieve_sql_results_from_catalog
http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1472

I don't recall seeing this detail before, but there is a suggestion to
removing additional indexes.  These are the indexes on our File table.

mysql> show indexes FROM  File;
+-------+------------+-------------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name    | Seq_in_index | Column_name | Collation |
Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null | Index_type | Comment |
+-------+------------+-------------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+
| File  |          0 | PRIMARY     |            1 | FileId      | A         |
 64154092 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | PathId      |            1 | PathId      | A         |
   812077 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | FilenameId  |            1 | FilenameId  | A         |
  2673087 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | FilenameId  |            2 | PathId      | A         |
 12830818 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId       |            1 | JobId       | A         |
     1484 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId       |            2 | PathId      | A         |
  3207704 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | JobId       |            3 | FilenameId  | A         |
 64154092 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
| File  |          1 | jobid_index |            1 | JobId       | A         |
     1484 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |
8 rows in set (0.01 sec)

It looks to me like I should remove the indexes "PathId" and "FilenameID",
leaving the PRIMARY, JobId and jobid_index.  Does that seem correct?

Gavin