Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance

2011-07-26 07:39:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:36:53 +0200
>> I was under the impression that_all_  LTO4 drives implemented encryption
>> (though if having the data traversing the LAN encrypted is your goal,
>> you'd still have to do something).  I don't know enough about it to know
>> how good the encryption in LTO4 is, however (or for that matter, how the
>> key is specified).
>>
>> Both encryption and compression in SW are going to be much slower than
>> the tape drive could do it (which is why LTO4 required it, as I
>> understood).  Another point, even with your current config, if you
>> aren't doing data spooling you are probably slowing things down further,
>> as well as wearing out both the tapes and heads on the drive with lots
>> of shoeshining.
>
> I'm pretty sure that LTO4 drives are required to identify an encrypted
> tape if one is inserted, but the actual support for encryption is
> optional. I think they use AES encryption or some variant of it.
>
> James

In regards to encryption on LTO-4 drives, not 100% sure about the
requirement for tape drive manufacturers to add it to the drives.
I do know though, from discussions on this list in the past (and some
searchwork myself) that activating encryption on such a drive is not
something that you will be able to do with bacula.

The drive itself requires the software that operates it to manage the
keys, and set the keys and encryption settings via scsi commands. From
what I know there are only a few backup suites today that are able to do
this, and they all cost quite a bit :)
So unless you can code the required stuff for bacula yourself, or are
looking to change to a paying solution, hardware encryption will not be
an option unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****