Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance

2011-07-25 21:16:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, "Rickifer Barros" <rickiferbarros AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:14:12 +1000
> 2011/7/25 Rickifer Barros <rickiferbarros AT gmail DOT com>:
> > Hello Guys...
> >
> > This weekend I did a backup with a size of 41.92 GB that took 1 hour
and 24
> > minutes with a rate of 8.27 MB/s.
> >
> > My Bacula Server is installed in a IBM server connected in a Tape
Drive LTO4
> > (120 MB/s) via SAS connection (3 Gb/s).
> >
> > I'm using Encryption and Compression Gzip6.
>
> Disable software compression. The tape drive will compress much faster
> than the client.

If you can find compressible patterns in the encrypted data stream then
you are not properly encrypting it. The only option would be to compress
before encryption which means you can't use the compression function in
the tape drive unless the tape drive also does the encryption (some do).

Use a lower GZIP compression level to see if it gets you better speed
without sacrificing too much performance... I suspect the speed hit is
going to be the encryption though.

James