Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority

2011-07-14 16:07:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "hymie!" <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:04:51 -0400
On 07/11/2011 10:29 AM, hymie! wrote:
> However, I might suggest that, since Incremental/Differential backups
> depend on having a Full backup already completed, you have your
> priorities backwards.  The Full backups, imho, should be given the higher
> priority than the incrementals.

Maybe I didn't word my email correctly.  Let me try to explain again.

Currently all my machines (about 50 of them) are set to fire off their
Full backups the first of the month.  I also have bacula configured to
not allow duplicate jobs.  If my Full backups take a week to run (in
some cases I have machines that take days to run a Full backup), the
incrementals for all the jobs that are sitting in the queue will get
cancelled due to not allowing duplicate jobs.  Because of this, there is
a gap between when the Full backup was scheuled and when it actually
finishes.

In other words.. if I have a job sitting in the queue for a few days
because other jobs are running, I still want incremetals of that machine
to run while the Full is still waiting to get done.

Does that make sense?