Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority

2011-07-10 20:09:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 20:07:22 -0400
Excerpts from Mike Hobbs's message of Fri Jul 08 15:23:47 -0400 2011:

Hi Mike,

> Due to the amount of data and machines I'll be backing up, I can see
> that when the first of the month comes around, running all my level
> 0 (Full) backups is going to take a week or more.  I'm concerned
> because if my level 1s (incremental) get queued up behind the level
> 0s data could potentially be lost.  So, I would like to assign my
> incremental a higher priority over Fulls, that way when the server
> is busy running Full backups, bacula will queue up the level 1's
> first and then continue on with the level 0s.  Am I making sense?

I don't think it works like this.  Depending on the number of
concurrent jobs you can run, the level 0's will queue up before the
level 1's are scheduled.  When the level 1's come around the next day,
they'd be placed in queue after the existing jobs.  (This is my
understanding of things.)

> Throughout my testing, I have only used one JobDef, the default one.
> I have edited it a little.  Because all my jobs use this JobsDef all
> the jobs, whether a Full or Incremental, gets assigned the default
> Priority 10.  I'm confused as to how I will configure bacula to have
> the Full backups say priority 10 and the incremental, say a Priority
> 9.

You can override priority for each job that uses the jobdefs on a
job-by-job basis, but you'll also need to make multiple jobs per
client (one for full, one for daily/differential) so that you can
assign different priorities.  Then, you'd need separate schedules to
run the different jobs at the approriate time.

> Another question, sort of related.  As I said above, at the first of
> the month when all my Full backups fire off, it's going to keep the
> backup server very busy for a week or more.  Is there a way to
> configure bacula to run certain groups (Pools?) Full backups on
> different dates?  Say, I could have 1/2 my machines level 0 run on
> the 1st of each month and then the second 1/2 run on the 15th?  Or
> something like that.  I'd really like to have my Full backups done
> within a few days and not weeks.

You'd need to use different schedules for this.  I'm planning to setup
schedules here using something like FridayFull, SaturdayFull and
SundayFull and then splay my machines across those manually...

I hope this helps.  It's a bit of a thought exercise for me as I'm
also new to bacula and considering some of the same things you are.  I
hope one of the long-time users will correct any of the above if it's
not correct or subtly wrong.  (I sat on this reply hoping that
somebody more knowledgeable would jump in, but since nobody has, I'm
taking a crack at it.)

Thanks
-Ben
--