Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-23 11:44:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:41:14 +0000
John Drescher wrote:
>> I haven't had as many die as you have (Do your users kick their computers
>> around the room?) but my experience matches yours when looking at changes in
>> the raw data. The problem is I haven't had enough die to put 100% certainty
>> on it so I tend to rely on smartd's output.
>>

> I have between 100 and 200 drives at work.

That's less than half the number I have in the server room alone (approx
450 there), plus about 150 managed PCs in various offices - even the
user machines have overall disk failure rates well below 1% per 3 years.

We have a firm policy of replacing server drives at 5 years and handling
them "with kid gloves" at all times, so that may be one of the reasons
we don't see as many failures.

AB