Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-17 18:43:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:40:11 +0100
Il 16/03/2011 18:08, Mike Hobbs ha scritto:
>    Hello,  I'm currently testing bacula v5.0.3 and so far so good.  One
> of my issues though, I have a 16 bay Promise Technologies VessJBOD.  How
> do I get bacula to use all the disks for writing volumes to?
>
> I guess the way I envision it working would be, 50gb volumes would be
> used and when disk1 fills up, bacula switches over to disk2 and starts
> writing out volumes until that disk is filled, then on to disk3, etc..
> eventually coming back around and recycling the volumes on disk 1.
>
> I'm not sure the above scenario is the best way to go about this, I've
> read that some people create a "pool" for each drive.  What is the most
> common practice when setting up a JBOD unit with bacula?  Any
> suggestions or advice would be appropriated.
>
> I have all my drives listed in the bacula-sd.conf file:
>
> Device {
>     Name = disk1
>     Media Type = File
>     Archive Device = /export/disk1
>     LabelMedia = yes;
>     Random Access = Yes;
>     AutomaticMount = yes;
>     RemovableMedia = no;
>     AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>
> I also have each drive listed in the bacula-dir.conf file, although I do
> not know if this is correct,
>
> Storage {
>     Name = File
>     Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
>     Address = mtl-backup2                # N.B. Use a fully qualified
> name here
>     SDPort = 9103
>     Password = "<removed>"
>     Device = disk1
>     Media Type = File
> }
>
> Another question,  how does bacula handle a dead disk?  How do you get a
> file listing of what was on that disk so you can manually run another
> backup of the missing clients and file systems?  Do you need to prune
> the dead disks information from the DB? or does bacula handle that when
> the recycle times come around?
>
> Thank you for any help, advice or suggestions anyone can provide.
>
> mike

Hi,
I think it could be useful for you to look into "Maximum Volume Bytes"
and "Maximum Volumes" Pool directives.
For example, I have a 1.4TB raid array where I want to use at most 1TB
for bacula storage.
I have created a "File" pool like this:

# File Pool definition
Pool {
     Name = File
     Pool Type = Backup
     Recycle = yes
     AutoPrune = yes
     Volume Retention = 30 days
     # 40x25 = 1TB
     Maximum Volume Bytes = 25G
     Maximum Volumes = 40
}

Every volume in the File pool is named FileVolumeXXX, where XXX is a
number (001, 002, ... 040).
Maybe you could create a similar pool for each disk, ensuring no more
that the disk capacity is used by Bacula.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH

Marcello