Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-23 10:52:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:48:01 +0000
John Drescher wrote:

> I would say this is true for smart PASS / FAIL but if you look at the
> raw SMART data you can use this to predict failure before it totally
> fails.

I agree but they don't do that.

> At least I have been able to predict this for the 10 to 20
> drives that have died here at work since 2009.

I haven't had as many die as you have (Do your users kick their
computers around the room?) but my experience matches yours when looking
at changes in the raw data. The problem is I haven't had enough die to
put 100% certainty on it so I tend to rely on smartd's output.