Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD

2011-03-23 10:19:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and 16 bay JBOD
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Mehma Sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:16:22 +0000
Mehma Sarja wrote:

> There is one more thing to think about and that is cumulative aging.
> Starting with all new disks is a false sense of security because as they
> age, and if they are in any sort of RAID/performance configuration, they
> will age and wear evenly.

Expanding on that:

It is generally a bad idea to use 100% drives from the same
manufacturing batch because their eventual failures are likely to be
very close together

Similarly it is a good idea to use a mix of drives from different
manufacturers, in order to try and spread any failures out over a longer
period of time.

I know of very few hardware suppliers who mix batches in their raid
arrays and of none who mix manufacturers. So far this hasn't been a
problem for our hardware arrays, but I prefer to mix things up when
building software arrays.

AB