Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Repeating FULL backup

2011-03-11 11:56:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Repeating FULL backup
From: jeffrey Lang <jrlang AT uwyo DOT edu>
To: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:52:42 -0700
Mike

  yes, there are options for managing this, they are:

        Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
        Cancel Lower Level Duplicates = yes
        Cancel Queued Duplicates = yes
        Cancel Running Duplicates = no

These are available in the 5.0.X bacula code.

jeff

Mike Hobbs wrote:
  On 02/28/2011 11:10 AM, Mike Hobbs wrote:

   I'm testing Bacula, so this is not a production setup and I ran into
an issue, problem, bug, I'm not sure.  During my testing, I'm backing up
a file system of about 700gb to a disk.  A FULL backup took around 21
hours with compression turned on.  While this was happening the
remaining backup jobs were queued waiting for the big job to finish.
Once the big 700gb job was done the remaining jobs ran and all was well.

The problem came when it was time to do the big job again, I thought it
would have ran an incremental as all the other backup jobs have done,
but bacula decided to re-run a FULL job again.  I'm not sure why or
where to look to try and figure out why.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Some other minor questions..

Does bacula use the /etc/dumpdates file? (I don't think so)

Are there any limitations to file, folder or file system sizes that
bacula can't do?

Thank you!

ok, at first I thought it was a changed fileset that was causing the
FULL backup to run again, but it seems that is not it.  This is what
I've noticed.

When backing up a huge file system for the first time, if the backup is
still running when the other jobs are scheduled to start, bacula with
queue up the machine again thinking it needs another full backup,
probably because the first full backup as not finished.  If I'm not
explaining this very well I'm sorry, but here is the director status and
you should see what I mean.

     18 Full    mtlcad2.2011-03-10_13.39.51_04 is running
     19 Increme  mtl-backup2.2011-03-10_23.05.00_06 is waiting execution
     20 Increme  lod.2011-03-10_23.05.00_07 is waiting execution
     21 Full    mtlcad2.2011-03-10_23.05.00_08 is waiting execution

Is there a bacula option I can set that says do not run any jobs for a
client that has a job currently running?

I hope this makes sense.

mike