Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Repeating FULL backup

2011-03-11 15:11:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Repeating FULL backup
From: Thomas Eriksson <thomas.eriksson AT slac.stanford DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:08:20 -0800

On 03/11/2011 11:40 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 03/11/11 14:03, Thomas Eriksson wrote:
>>

>> On 03/11/2011 08:52 AM, jeffrey Lang wrote:
>>> Mike
>>>
>>>   yes, there are options for managing this, they are:
>>>
>>>         Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
>>>         Cancel Lower Level Duplicates = yes
>>>         Cancel Queued Duplicates = yes
>>>         Cancel Running Duplicates = no
>>>
>>> These are available in the 5.0.X bacula code.
>>>
>>> jeff
>>>

>> Sorry for using someone else's thread, but I'd like to make a comment
>> on this.
>>
>> The default value for all the values mentioned by Jeff above is "no".
>> According to the 5.0.3 manual and an explanatory figure (17.2), that
>> should lead to that a duplicate job always gets canceled.
>>
>> In my experience, that is not what happens.
>>
>> My Full backup takes 36 hours, and the next days Incremental job always
>> gets queued up.
>
> That's because setting all of the above to "no" is not correct.  "Allow
> Duplicate Jobs = no" turns the duplicate cancellation feature on.  You
> then need to choose one policy.  They are all disabled by default
> because the choice of which policy to apply should be yours, and because
> the effect of having "Cancel Queued Duplicates" and "Cancel Running
> Duplicates" both enabled at once (as would happen if the default was
> "yes", unless you explicitly turned them off) should be fairly predictable.
>
> This is just good sense in software design:  options which can
> potentially result in loss of data or work if enabled, should always
> default to 'off'.

Phil,

Your point regarding having default values not causing any potential
damage makes sense. It may be that this is just a documentation
issue.

According to the documentation, with "Allow Duplicate Jobs = no"
and all the "Cancel" switches set to no, the 2nd job should *always*
be canceled.

The Cancel switches allow for special cases, like if the 2nd job
is of a higher level, or if the 1st job is not yet running but only
in the queue, or you actually want to cancel the running, same level
job, instead of the 2nd.

        Thomas