Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?

2010-11-12 06:49:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Mikael Fridh <frimik AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:46:46 +0000
Mikael Fridh wrote:

> Tuning's not going to get any of those 50 million traversed rows
> disappear. Only a differently optimized query plan will.

This applies across both mysql and postgresql...

>> This is an Ubuntu Linux server running MySQL v5.1.41.  The mysql data is on
>> an
>> MD software RAID 1 array on 7200rpm SATA disks.  The tables are MyISAM
>> (which I
>> had understood to be quicker than innodb in low concurrency situations?).
>> The
>> tuner script is suggesting I should disable innodb as we're not using it
>> which
>> I will do though I wouldn't guess that will make a massive difference.
>
> No, it will not help.

Disbling innodb won't help right now, but switching to innodb would be a
good idea in the near future as myISAM runs into problems around the 50
million entry mark (assuming Oracle don't remove innodb from future
versions of Mysql, as looks increasingly likely...)