Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?

2010-11-11 07:35:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:32:48 +0100
'Alan Brown' wrote:
>Henrik Johansen wrote:
>
>> I have had about as much of this as I can take now so please, stop spreading
>> FUD about MySQL.
>
>Have you used Mysql with datasets in excess of 100-200 million objects?

Sure - our current Bacula deployment consists of 3 catalog servers with
the smallest DB having ~380 million rows. We have other MySQL DB's in
production that are considerably larger and so do Facebook, Twitter,
Flickr, YouTube, Wikipedia and so on ...

>I have. Our current database holds about 400 million File table entries.
>
>MySQL requires significant tuning and kernel tweakery, plus uses a lot
>more memory than postgres does for the same dataset.

Almost all large MySQL servers we have run Solaris - absolutely no kernel
tweaking required.

>For Bacula users, it's a lot _easier_ to use Postgres on a large
>installation than it is to use MySQL.

Large installations usually have DBA's ? Personally I find it a *lot*
easier to apply a few configuration tweaks to a product that I have 8+
years of production experience with than throwing in the towel and
starting from scratch with an entirely different product ...

>I held off switching to Postgres for a long time because I was
>unfamiliar with it, however having done so I'm glad that I did - it's
>required virtually zero tweaking since it was set up and runs
>approximately twice as fast as MySQL did, with a ram footprint about
>half the size of MySQL's.

MySQL, or more specifically InnoDB, needs a bit of love before performing
well, I'll admit to that. The upcoming MySQL 5.5 will change much of
this however.

>Small datasets are fine with MySQL and will probably work better. Ours
>was brilliant up to about 50 million entries and then required tuning.
>
>This discussion is about appropriate tools for the job.

Yes - and I still consider MySQL to be a highly appropriate tool for the
job. Perhaps the MySQL force is particularly strong in me, who knows.

>If you wish to usefully contribute to the thread then provide some
>assistance to the OP regarding tuning his MySQL for optimum performance.

Re-read the thread - I believe that I already have done so.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT scannet DOT dk