Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?

2010-11-18 16:29:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:27:09 +0000
On 13/11/10 04:46, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> You mean "looks increasingly *unlikely*" don't you?  As InnoDB is the
> default in MySQL 5.5...

Yes it is, but take a look at what Oracle's been doing to the other
opensource projects it inherited.

It says a lot when core mysql developers fork a new project.

It says a lot more when this happens across a number of projects
including the entire Open Office developer team.

 > I suspect there to be at least one person involved in this discussion
> who has *religion* in relation to database engines...

Nothing to do with religion - and FWIW, stating that postgresql requires
a DBA is a clear case of FUD.

My point of view comes from running both engines on the same hardware
and observing the loads involved. Personally I'd prefer to be running
mysql but it was clear postgres ran faster and had lower memory
foorprints for our use than innodb. Others have reported the same thing
over the years.

(Longer term I'm concerned about what Oracle may do with Mysql as we
have a number of databases installed on various machines machines doing
various things for various groups & space scientists are difficult to
deal with at the best of times, let alone if they have to change tools.)

> Frankly, I'd rather there were reliable connectors and queries available
> for Oracle and DB2, rather than this childish prattle over MySQL and
> PostGRES.

It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen unless someone who wants
them, writes it (or pays for it)