Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?

2010-11-08 08:07:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:03:59 +0000
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010, Alan Brown wrote:

> Mysql works well - if tuned, but tuning is a major undertaking when
> things get large/busy and may take several iterations.

Some time back there was an issue with Bacula (v5?) which seemed to come
down to a particular query associated (I think) with restores taking a very
long time with large datasets on MySQL, but taking a reasonable time on
Postgresql.

>>From what I read of the conversation, there didn't seem to be any tuning
solution on MySQL.  The answer from several people was "switch to
Postgres".  We're using MySQL for Bacula right now but for this reason I've
had it in mind to move.

Is this still the case or is there a solution now to those MySQL issues.

When we do restores, building the tree takes a considerable time now.  I
haven't had a lot of time to look at it, but suspected it might be down to
this issue.

Gavin