Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?

2010-11-08 07:44:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning for large (millions of files) backups?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: ondrej.planka AT ignum DOT cz
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:40:45 +0000
Ondrej PLANKA (Ignum profile) wrote:

> We have several 10+ million file jobs - all run without problem (backup
> and restore).
>
> I am aware of the fact that a lot of Bacula users run PG  ( Bacula
> Systems also does recommend PG for larger setups ) but nevertheless
> MySQL has served us very well so far.

Mysql works well - if tuned, but tuning is a major undertaking when
things get large/busy and may take several iterations.

The main advantage I've found to Postgress is that when you have a very
large database (100+ million entries) it has a far smaller memory/CPU
footprint (Half the memory and about 1/4 the cpu load).

It's also largely self-tuning - which lets me get on with the business
of running backups instead of monitoring database performance...