Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die

2010-11-05 18:44:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die
From: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:41:34 -0500
On 11/05/2010 03:22 PM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 04:09 PM, Sean Clark wrote:
>> [...]
>> It sounds to me like the actual functionality in the community version
>> isn't likely to be allowed to stagnate any time soon, so I'm not too
>> worried about there being some extra "bonus" features in the paid
>> version (a GUI for configuration makes things easier to use, but not
>> having it doesn't prevent us from using the actual bacula functionality
>> in the community version).  I was just a little surprised that the hate
>> level in the replies so far seem to be turned up a notch or two higher
>> than necessary - at least if my interpretation of Heitor's original post
>> is correct.
> You misread that message, I think:
No - I had only meant to point out that whether or not features like
that WOULD be in the "premium" version only
was what the original poster was probably worried about (NOT to suggest
that I thought it was actually happening - hence my
comment about not being worried about actual functionality stagnating in
the community version).

I was really commenting more on the fact that the followup message
saying "This new feature isn't really being restricted to the paid
version" was more likely to address the concern in the original post,
much more so than the stream of angry "HOW DARE YOU, YOU INGRATE!"
messages that preceded it, which I think were a bit of an overreaction
to the concern expressed by a (presumably) non-native-English speaker in
the first message.  Indeed, the followup message was kind of necessary
given that without it, it looked a lot like a threat to do exactly what
the original post was worried about (as though to paradoxically to
punish the original poster for suggesting it).

I don't think the clumsily-worded post was really intended to be as
accusatory as it seemed to a lot of people.  That's all.

I think I'm just suffering from flamewar fatigue this week...