Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die

2010-11-05 12:32:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Project will Die
From: Marcos Leão <leao.marcos AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:28:46 -0200
Heitor,

Your bacula training courses are not free!

Your book "Bacula, ferramenta livre de backup" are also not free!

You can make money with bacula, but others can't. Well, I understand...

2010/11/5 Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>

On 11/05/2010 09:52 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> [...]
> into the community version which is available to everyone.
>
> For two years we were putting everything into the community version, but the
> company will not survive that is very clear -- Bacula Systems spends more
> than CHF 50,000 / month in salaries and other costs.  Very few people or
> companies are willing to finance this for something that is free.
>
> You complain, but you suggest no viable alternatives. I nolonger want to be
> the only person contributing most to Bacula and fixing most of the bugs. So
> If Bacula Systems fails, the project will most likely die, stagnate, or the
> code reliablity will become so bad in a few years that no one will want to
> use it.
>
> I have spent 15 years contributing everything I do to Open Source, 10 of those
> years to Bacula. Other people have done more, but for me that is a lot!  All
> the code I continue t contribute is Open Source, but I choose not to give all
> of it to everyone today, because I want to see Bacula continue -- the only
> way to do so is to ensure that Bacula Systems continues.  Both Bacula Systems
> and I could make the code proprietary as do virtually all other projects that
> include support.  We have chosen to continue writing Open Source, which has a
> lot of risks.
>
> I find it ungrateful of you to complain about a not getting everything you
> want for free -- especially when Bacula Systems has contributed *far* more
> than the community in creating version 5.0.x.  One of the projects I am
> working on for the next community release is restarting failed jobs.  When I
> hear statements and complaints such as yours, it makes me wonder why I
> shouldn't just put that code only into the Enterprise version.
>
> Had you attended the recent Bacula conference, you would have had ample time
> to discuss these points and to hear what I and other users say.
>
> If you want these features, why don't you submit the code for them or
> stimulate the community to do so.  Anything that comes from the community
> will be available to the community, and this is generally after we invest a
> significant amount of time correcting the code, debugging it, testing it,
> releasing it, documenting the new features, and then later supporting it with
> bug fixes.  I have the feeling that most people are unaware of the amount of
> work that goes into creating and supporting Bacula -- even with features
> contributed by the community.
>
> The Bacula project will only die if Bacula Systems fails and the community
> does not make more contributions.
>
> So please stop complaining, and be happy that Bacula Systems is contributing
> to the Bacula project, and that all of Bacula Systems code is Open Source,
> even if everyone doesn't get everything for free.  This is far better than us
> taking the code proprietary as other projects are doing.  Continuing to
> complain may well contribute to the Bacula project dying.

Kern,

Thank you for what you do provide. Bacula has been a great and
trouble-free piece of software. I'd love to adopt it more and move to
the paid enterprise edition, but that is not how my workplace thinks. So
again, kudos and thank you.

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _| |novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/CST-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark

Marcos de Oliveira Leão
Consultor Linux/Unix
LPIC/1 - Linux Professional Institute Certification
(55 61) 8556-9956
leao.marcos AT gmail DOT com
marcos_leao AT hotmail DOT com