Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Searching for files

2010-10-22 02:50:40
Subject: [Bacula-users] Searching for files
From: ladolf <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 02:47:33 -0400
I would also like to know the answer to this question. Sometimes I need to
restore a file and I know part of file name. I don't know which letters are
upper case. If I know which job to use then I use "restore" command in
bconsole. I select the option "Enter list of comma separated JobIds to select"
or "Select the most recent backup for a client". Then I use "find" command. But
I cannot find any help for "find" command (unless the string saying that I can
use wildcards). And it is case sensitive. It would be great if the command
would support regular expressions. Sometimes I need to list many folders to
find the file.

If I don't know when the file has been backed up then this task can be really
tedious. I have to search in many jobs. There is an option in restore that says
"List Jobs where a given File is saved". But in this case you have to know the
exact filename. And even with this I cannot see this command working.

Maybe anyone knows how to query the bacula database directly to get search
result for a file.

Luiz: I don't believe it is possible to search for texts inside files. I don't
believe that bacula is storing this information into catalog. Catalog would
become enormous in this case. Probably you have to make full restore to some
other place and then use filesystem tools to find it (like grep in linux).