Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] premature recycling

2010-10-21 12:13:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] premature recycling
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:10:18 +0100

> > > I'm getting recycling before retention expires.  Or so I think.  It may be
> > > possible that the Pools definitions are out of date, but before I run an
> > > update command, I wanted to see if anyone saw something out of order here.
> > >
> > > This is the Volume before it was recycled:
> > >
> > > Pool: FullsFile
> > > | mediaid | volumename    | volstatus | enabled | volbytes      |
> > volfiles | volretention | recycle | slot | inchanger | mediatype |
> > lastwritten         |
> > > |     445 | FileAuto-0445 | Full      |       1 | 5,368,691,646 |
> >  1 |   94,608,000 |       1 |    0 |         0 | File      | 2010-04-16
> > 08:24:59 |
> > >
> > > That is 3 years retention. Last written April this year
> > >
> > > The Volume is then recycled during the job:
> > >
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 kraken-sd JobId 39232: User defined maximum volume capacity
> > 5,368,709,120 exceeded on device "MegaFile"
> > (/storage/compressed/bacula/volumes).
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 kraken-sd JobId 39232: End of medium on Volume
> > "FileAuto-0437" Bytes=5,368,688,857 Blocks=83,220 at 20-Oct-2010 15:18.
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 bacula-dir JobId 39232: There are no more Jobs associated
> > with Volume "FileAuto-0445". Marking it purged.
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 bacula-dir JobId 39232: All records pruned from Volume
> > "FileAuto-0445"; marking it "Purged"
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 bacula-dir JobId 39232: Recycled volume "FileAuto-0445"
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 kraken-sd JobId 39232: Recycled volume "FileAuto-0445" on
> > device "MegaFile" (/storage/compressed/bacula/volumes), all previous data
> > lost.
> > > 20-Oct 20:18 kraken-sd JobId 39232: New volume "FileAuto-0445" mounted on
> > device "MegaFile" (/storage/compressed/bacula/volumes) at 20-Oct-2010 15:18.
> >
> > I think you might be confused about the meaning of the Volume Retention
> > directive.  It controls automatic pruning, but it doesn't prevent recycling
> > if
> > the volume has no jobs remaining in the catalog.  The latter can happen if
> > the
> > Job Retention directive in the Client(s) caused pruning prior to this
> > backup.
>
> He is not confused. I think.
> The bacula should not to recycle a volume, even if there is not appendable
> volumes*.
> *The manual says: *"**The Volume Retention record defines the length of time
> that Bacula will guarantee that the Volume is not reused** counting from the
> time the last job stored on the Volume terminated". *Not mention to jobs on
> catalog.
>
> The files and job retention period comes to prevent catalog growing, not to
> recycle volumes, says the manual.
>
> *The Volume Retention record defines the length of time that Bacula will
> guarantee that the Volume is not reused counting from the time the last job
> stored on the Volume terminated.

It seems that the manual contradicts itself about this directive, because
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0018150000000000000000
in the same manual defines the Volume Retention directive as:

"The Volume Retention directive defines the length of time that Bacula will
keep records associated with the Volume in the Catalog database after the End
time of each Job written to the Volume."

I.e. it controls pruning, not recycling.

If a Full or Used volume has no jobs in the catalog, then it can be marked as
Purged and can be recycled.  AFAICS, the code has worked like that for a long
time and the message

"There are no more Jobs associated with Volume .... Marking it purged."

is printed when it detects that, regardless of the Volume Retention period.

__Martin

p.s. Please don't top-post.