Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] volume status definition/usage (Media.VolStatus)

2010-06-10 09:51:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] volume status definition/usage (Media.VolStatus)
From: Wolfram Schlich <lists AT wolfram.schlich DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:49:02 +0200
Hi!

What exactly do the different volume status values mean
and when or what are they being used for by Bacula?

Currently, the Media.VolStatus field can have the
following values:

        Append
        Archive
        Busy
        Cleaning
        Disabled
        Error
        Full
        Purged
        Read-Only
        Recycle
        Used

What are Archive, Busy, Cleaning, Disabled, Read-Only and
Used are being used for?
(Should I label cleaning tapes at all and set their type
to "Cleaning"?!)

When does Bacula itself check for one of those values?

When does Bacula itself change the status of a volume to one of
those values?

The reason I'm asking is:
I have a scratch pool where all newly labeled volumes go, a
full packup pool, an incremental backup pool and an offsite pool.
The offsite pool is used every weekend to copy all uncopied jobs
from the full pool to tapes from the offsite pool. Then at the
beginning of the next week, the offsite tapes shall be manually
pulled out of the library. For that, I want Bacula to run a script
upon completion of the copy job that sets the status of all
volumes currently in the offsite pool to a status that makes
Bacula not using them for offsite copies anymore, like Archive,
Full or Read-Only, but I'm unsure which one would be the best
status. The script will also move all those volumes to a special
mailslot magazine of the library so they can be exported quite
easily (the volumes originate from the scratch pool and thus are
distributed over the whole library except the mailslot magazine).

Thanks for your input!
--
Regards,
Wolfram Schlich <wschlich AT gentoo DOT org>