Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-27 09:45:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:43:10 +0100
skipunk wrote:

> Your right, your setting is close to mine. I would run 1 backup at a time if
> I could pull the speeds that I get from a local backup, so currently I'll be
> pushing more backup's at once until I can find the issues causing this.

Using concurrent backups and spooling is a _big_ win when running
incrementals as otherwise these will always cause shoeshining if pointed
directly at the tape drive.

Once you're using spooling, you can run multiple simultaneous backups
and shorten up the backup window even further.

My spool disk area is about 300gb with a max chunk size of 100Gb
(recently converted to SSD for extra speed). A lot of the machine full
backups end up in one piece on the tape as a result. (Data backups are
for 1Tb partitions and always end up in several chunks)