Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Does Bacula issue the Prevent Media Removal command?

2010-05-24 11:40:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Does Bacula issue the Prevent Media Removal command?
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 09:38:36 -0600
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:00 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I'm trying to track down the cause of tapes being stuck in our library at
> random times. When a tape is stuck, the library reports that a soft removal
> error occurred, and all I can think of is that Bacula is sending the Prevent
> Media Removal command to prevent tapes from being changed out without it's
> knowledge, but sometimes, it does not issue the Allow Media Removal command
> correctly to change the tape. This causes the jobs to back up waiting for a
> tape. We are running Debian Squeeze with 5.0.1.
> Thanks,

I have the same thing on gentoo from time to time with my exabyte
magnum 224 changer.

John

Someone mentioned that changing "Always open" to "no" could help, but that kind of scares me. I'd like the protection of preventing removal, as long a Bacula can re-enable it when it needs to change tapes.

I've had multiple drives changed out, and have updated the firmware on the drives and library a number of times in the last couple of years to try and fix this problem, but non of the fixes it, so I think it's either something Bacula or the kernel/mtx is doing.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University