Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] iSCSI and Windows Server Backup

2010-05-05 17:13:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] iSCSI and Windows Server Backup
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:10:00 -0700
I am also using W2K8 and back up with Windows Backup to an iSCSI server.

There really is no good way around Windows backup (unless you want a paid
solution). W2K8 relies heavily on junction points, which bacula doesn't back
up. BTW, if you are using Exchange 2007, be sure to install SP2 - before that
service pack, Windows backup wasn't Exchange-aware.

What I actually do is use Windows Backup to the iSCSI server, and then take a
snapshot of the iSCSI disk. I back up that snapshot using bacula.

I don't think of it as duplication but of exporting the data in a
backup-friendly format. It's really not much different from, in W2K3, using
NTBackup for the systemstate, and then using bacula to backup the .bkf file. Or
creating a MySQL database dump and then backing up that dump. Or creating SQL
Server backup .bak file and backing that up.

The one thing to be careful of is how to handle VSS. You don't want to have
Windows Backup and a direct Bacula backup both truncating log files, for
instance.