Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] iSCSI and Windows Server Backup

2010-05-05 03:34:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] iSCSI and Windows Server Backup
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 15:32:14 +0800
On 05/05/10 14:38, Henrik Johansen wrote:
> On 05/ 5/10 08:11 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I've recently been saddled with a win2k8 server, and am trying to figure
>> out how to make it play with my backup infrastructure.
>>
>> Currently I've got it doing scheduled backups via Windows Server Backup
>> to an iSCSI volume exported by my backup server. In case the setup is of
>> interest to anyone it's written up here:
>>

>> http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/2010/05/using-iet-iscsi-enterprise-target-for.html
>>
>> However ... I'd really like a way to integrate this into Bacula, though,
>> at least in terms of monitoring and alerts. I'm backing up user-visible
>> shares on the server with Bacula separately to the Windows image
>> backups, but would prefer to avoid the duplication. As there must be
>> people with 2k8 servers here, I thought I'd check in and see how others
>> are doing it.
>
> We are currently backing up 50+ w2k8 servers with Bacula - so far
> without any major pain.
>
> What exactly is your problem ?

Are your backups suitable for restoring a bootable machine after total
loss/destruction, though?

If so, how are you doing that with Bacula? Are you integrating Windows
System Imaging, or doing a filesytem level copy and a semi-manual
restore (make ntfs, fix mbr, etc) ?

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/