Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Installing with RPMs

2010-05-04 13:32:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing with RPMs
From: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Tue, 5/4/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:

> > I have mysql running on my Suse 11.2 64bit
> system.  How does mysql get populated with the bacula
> database/tables?  When I compiled from source earlier,
> I found I needed to manually run some scripts:
> >
> > # create_bacula_database
> >
> > # make_bacula_tables
> >
> > # grant_bacula_privileges
> >
> > But I see no such scripts, nor did I notice any such
> processes run during the RPM installation.  I logged
> into mysql and did 'show tables', but saw no bacula data.
>
> Having never installed from RPM, I can't help you there,
> sorry.  But the
> RPMs SHOULD contain the scripts you reference above.

Ok, not sure where the mysql update scripts are.  I might have to copy them
from the source installation and run them manually.

Also, when I try to run 'bat' or 'bconsole', it appears to be trying to connect
to the "Director" on port 9101, but this process isn't running and there is no
tcp/9101 available.
When I start bacula using "bacula start" or using the 3 rc scripts created by
the RPM installation:

bacula-sd
bacula-fd
bacula-dir

I can start bacula-sd, which creates a process listening on tcp/9103
I can start bacula-fd, which creates a process listening on tcp/9102
But if I try to start bacula-dir, it silently fails and starts no process on
tcp/9101 which I suspect is what 'bat' and 'bconsole' want.  When I try to
start 'bconsole', I only get:

Connecting to Director bacula-va-dir:9101

And my root prompt returns.

'bat' does something similar, but takes about a minute before failing.

>>From the messages file:
May  4 17:01:27 bacula bconsole: bsock.c:135 Unable to connect to Director
daemon on bacula-va:9101. ERR=Connection refused

The host name bacula-va is in the hosts file, so it resolves.  This system has
multiple interfaces, and the bacula-va is the network where backups will take
place.

I suspect this problem might be due to the lack of bacula data in mysql.  I see
the following errors in /var/lib/bacula/log:

04-May 17:00 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
"MyCatalog", database "bacula".
04-May 17:00 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: sqlite.c:178 Database
/var/lib/bacula/bacula.db does not exist, please create it.
04-May 17:00 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf

The only files in /var/lib/bacula are:

bacula-dir.bacula-dir.6892008.mail
bacula-dir.bacula-dir.6914616.mail
bacula-dir.bacula-dir.6914648.mail
bacula-fd.9102.state
bacula-sd.9103.state
log

The .mail files contain the same info as the log file (the error above).

Before I copy over the mysql install scripts from source, I'd like to verify if
this would be the best idea.

Thanks!