Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)

2010-04-13 15:56:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)
From: ikkysleepy <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:53:34 -0400
Hi,

I have two external backup drives that I want to incorporate using Bacula, but
have some questions:

1) When making a Full backup, does this replace the expired backup or will this
create a new Volume on the drive?

2) Can you force the Full backup to expire on a weekend?

3) Will auto-pruning prune the oldest incremental?

4) I read that having many incremental backups, like I plan on having will make
the restoring of files slow compared to a diff, can someone confirm this?

Here is my planed setup:

Source: ~460 GB
(M-F) Daily Changes: ~0.5-2 GB

Backup Drive #1 size: 1 TB
Backup Drive #2 size: 1 TB

Schedule:
Week #1
Drive #1,  run Full Backup (Expire in 3 months) on a weekend
Drive #1, run daily Incremental backup M-F for Week

Week #2
Drive #2,  run Full Backup (Expire in 3 months) on a weekend
Take Drive #1 home on Monday
Drive #2, run daily Incremental backup M-F for Week

Week #3
Take Drive #2 home on Monday
Drive #1, run daily Incremental backup M-F for Week

Week #4
Take Drive #1 home on Monday
Drive #2, run daily Incremental backup M-F for Week

.
.
.

The purpose of the two drives is to have at least one week of data off-site,
plus weeks worth of incrementals.

Thanks,