Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)

2010-04-13 19:42:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:40:02 +0800
On 14/04/10 03:53, ikkysleepy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two external backup drives that I want to incorporate using Bacula,
> but have some questions:
>

> 1) When making a Full backup, does this replace the expired backup or will
> this create a new Volume on the drive?

Depends on your pool configuration. In most setups it'll recycle an
older volume that's outside its retention period. See the bacula
documentation.

> 2) Can you force the Full backup to expire on a weekend?

Why would you want to?

... and yes, using a cron job that prunes (safe) or purges (unsafe) it
via a command to the director.

> 3) Will auto-pruning prune the oldest incremental?

Depends on your retention setup.

> 4) I read that having many incremental backups, like I plan on having will
> make the restoring of files slow compared to a diff, can someone confirm this?

I've never had a problem, and sometimes have hundreds of incrementals.
However, I use disk-based storage. On tape it might well be an issue.

--
Craig  Ringer