Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)

2010-04-19 13:15:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Full/Inc Questions (Noob)
From: ikkysleepy <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:12:49 -0400

> Er, eek?!?
>
> I was mentioning RAID 0 as an absolute last resort
> can't-afford-anything-else option.
>
> You realize that RAID 0 *masively* increases the chance of total loss of
> data across the entire array if one drive develops a fault, right? It's
> not just "chance_of_disk_failure * n drives" either - the chance of any
> one drive in a set failing is much larger, since you're really computing
> the chance of *no* disk in the set failing.
>
> Because RAID 0 stripes data, if you lose one disk you lose all data in
> the array.
>
> The absolute minimum I'd ever consider is a RAID 5 array - and for more
> than about six disks, that gets pretty dangerous too and I switch to
> RAID 6 for anything important.
>
> If you must use RAID 0, you need to have regular S.M.A.R.T testing
> running on the drives to detect media errors - so you need smartd
> configured and running. You should have that on any RAIDed server
> anyway, but it's utterly crucial for risky RAID 0 setups.
>
> You also need to know that if tomorrow all that data is gone, you don't
> actually mind.

Well, I  thought the server was setup with Raid 0, then I thought for sure it
was Raid1, either way looks like the server is not setup correctly, according
to cat /proc/mdstat

So either a drive failed or the server was never setup correctly.  So RAID 5 or
6, huh? I'm looking into it.

We do have 3 different full backups, but wouldn't want to start using them.

> OK, that would've been good to know. You want to manage volumes quite
> differently if you're using removable HDDs.

Oh yeah, how so? 2 Volumes per external hdd is not a good idea?
Or is the problem more of mounting and unmounting the drives each week via  a
script?

We seldom restore files and 8/10 files needing restoring are from the previous
day. We have a mirror backup that I use restore the files, so incremental
backups are fine for us.

Thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.