Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media

2010-04-08 14:08:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media
From: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
I'm working on running bacula-5.0.1 in a configuration where my removable media
are 1.5TB SATA disks with shuttles.  My system:

SuperMicro chasis with 8 removable SATA disks
QUAD core 2.66GHz CPU
CentOS 5.4, 64bit
8G memory

My goal is to have 6 of the 8 disks rotated in/out, with 2 more 'sets of 6'
drives-- one of which will always be kept physically off site, and the other
set ready to go, for a total of 18 removable disks.  The other 2 disks are
always kept in the system (OS, and misc storage).

I want a setup where the disks are not spanned from night to night.  In other
words, every night I want a disk used no matter how full it is.  If only 30% is
used, I want the next disk to be used the next night.  If on any given night I
need MORE than 1 disk, this is fine; spanning is acceptable.

As far as bacula is concerned, there will be 18 removable devices:

/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0001
/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0018

the disk_XXXX are links to a single file on each removable disk:

/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0001 --> file in /dev/sdc1 (/mnt/disk1/disk_0001)
/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0002 --> file in /dev/sdd1 (/mnt/disk2/disk_0002)
/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0007 --> file in /dev/sdc1 (/mnt/disk1/disk_0007)
/opt/bacula/volumes/disk_0008 --> file in /dev/sdd1 (/mnt/disk2/disk_0008)

etc..

So, as far as bacula knows, there are always the files 0001 through 0018, and
the automounter takes care of making 0001, 0007, 0013 be disk_0001.

I already have the devices created, and can do backups, but the behavior isn't
what I want.  I currently have 2 clients (for testing):

1) the bacula server itself
2) a Suse 10.3 system

But when the backup runs at the default time, it uses a different disk_xxxx
file for each system being backed up on the same day.  So, in 1 day, client 1
will use disk_0001 and client 2 will use disk_0002.  I would want client 1,
client 2, and all future clients to use the same disk on that day.  Then, the
next day, those same clients use the next disk, and so on.

I believe the problem is in the bacula-dir.conf and/or bacula-sd.conf.

Which setting would cause it to use a different disk/device for every client on
every run?

I suspect it is at least 1 of the following:

File Retention
Job Retention
AutoPrune
Recycle
Volume Retention

I hope this is somewhat clear.  If not, let me know!
Any help would be great.

Thanks!