Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media

2010-04-12 13:55:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:53:25 -0400
On 04/12/10 11:58, Joseph Spenner wrote:
> --- On Mon, 4/12/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:
>>
>> Did you fix the retention period yet?  If it's
>> immediately reusing the
>> first volume, it probably means your retention is too
>> short.  If you're
>> trying to use these volumes in daily rotation, then the
>> volume use
>> duration should be set so that it expires just before the
>> next day's
>> backup (23 hours being a good number for that), and your
>> retention
>> period needs to be set such that the first volume becomes
>> available
>> again just after the last volume is used (for a ten-day
>> rotation, nine
>> days should be right).
>>
>> Make sure that after you update the Pool resource, you
>> FIRST update the
>> Pool from the resource, THEN update ALL of the Volumes from
>> the Pool.
>>

> Phil:
>   Here are my retention settings:
>
> ===
> Client {
>   Name = backula-fd
>   Address = backula
>   File Retention = 1 days
>   Job Retention = 6 months
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Default
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 1 days
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = File
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 9 days
>   Volume Use Duration = 23h
>   Maximum Volume Bytes = 1400G
>   Maximum Volumes = 10
> }
>
> Client {
>   Name = tycho-fd
>   Address = tycho
>   File Retention = 1 days
>   Job Retention = 6 months
> }
> ===
>
> Is the client specific "File Retention" causing my problem?

Yes, that's exactly the problem.

>I'm also a bit confused (obviously) with:
>    File Retention
>    Job Retention
>    Volume Retention
>    Volume Use Duration

Basically, whichever is the SHORTEST of the retention settings will
dictate when data begins getting pruned.  In most cases, you probably
want all three retention settings to be the same.

Volume Use Duration is not a retention setting at all; it is the time
window during which data may be written to the volume, starting from
when it is first written after creation or recycling.  When that window
ends, the volume will be marked Used even if not full, and no new jobs
not already running will be allowed to write to it.  (I'm honestly not
certain what happens to the running job if the use duration expires
while a job is still writing to the volume; I've never tried it.)

If all your clients will have the same settings, then I would remofe the
File Retention setting from your clients altogether.  Unless a specific
client NEEDS its retention settings to be different from the Pool
defaults, there's no reason to have retention settings in the client
resource at all.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.