Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media

2010-04-12 12:01:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media
From: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 4/12/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:

> Did you fix the retention period yet?  If it's
> immediately reusing the
> first volume, it probably means your retention is too
> short.  If you're
> trying to use these volumes in daily rotation, then the
> volume use
> duration should be set so that it expires just before the
> next day's
> backup (23 hours being a good number for that), and your
> retention
> period needs to be set such that the first volume becomes
> available
> again just after the last volume is used (for a ten-day
> rotation, nine
> days should be right).
>
> Make sure that after you update the Pool resource, you
> FIRST update the
> Pool from the resource, THEN update ALL of the Volumes from
> the Pool.

Phil:
  Here are my retention settings:

===
Client {
  Name = backula-fd
  Address = backula
  File Retention = 1 days
  Job Retention = 6 months
}

Pool {
  Name = Default
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 1 days
}

Pool {
  Name = File
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 9 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23h
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 1400G
  Maximum Volumes = 10
}

Client {
  Name = tycho-fd
  Address = tycho
  File Retention = 1 days
  Job Retention = 6 months
}
===

Is the client specific "File Retention" causing my problem?  I suspect since
I'm making 'retention' definitions withing the Client {} it might be the root
of my problem.  I know all my clients will be backed up the same, so I'd like
to have global settings inherited by all clients.  I'm also a bit confused
(obviously) with:
   File Retention
   Job Retention
   Volume Retention