Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job Copy - from one SD to another

2010-03-19 12:33:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job Copy - from one SD to another
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:31:31 -0400
On 03/19/10 11:52, Dan Langille wrote:
> I want to set up Job Copy to duplicate Jobs on disk-based Volumes onto
> tape-based Volumes.
>
> I've been running with a single bacula-sd for some time now.  It has a
> tape library attached.
>
> I recently set up a new server with 8TB of attached storage.  All backups
> are now going to this server.
>
> Given this situation, I won't be able to copy or migrate Jobs from Tape to
> Disk.  Why?
>
> "Migration is only implemented for a single Storage daemon. You cannot
> read on one Storage daemon and write on another. "
>
>   http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Migration_Copy.html
>
> DOH!
>
> I think the only feasible solution for this is to merge the old bacula-sd
> onto the new bacula-sd.  That is, attach the tape library to the new
> server.
>
> Comments?

You might try something I've been planning on doing once I get an
additional dedicated host machine to attach my LTO2 drive to, which is
to publish the tape library as an iSCSI target and connect to that from
the new server.  (The only reason I haven't tried this yet myself is
that I'm waiting on an extra machine capable of supporting both U160
SCSI and Gig-E, but with moderate power consumption.  Right now I don't
have anything suitable, though I suppose I do have a Sun U30 I could use
for proof of principle.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.