Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request

2010-03-17 08:10:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:07:44 -0400
On 3/17/2010 6:11 AM, Matija Nalis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:40:05PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean backing up the MBR?  That might be nice alright.
>>
>> Doing this portably is actually a rather difficult problem because there
>> are so many different partitioning schemes and partition table formats
>> out there.  It's a mess.
>
> well, yeah, it would probably best to handle this via wrapper. (like
> for example mtx-changer script) as then only such a wrapper needs to
> be modified for specific systems.
>
> Under GNU/Linux at least there is sfdisk(8), and one can easily do a
> partition dump with "sfdisk -d /dev/sda>  somefile" and restore it
> with "sfdisk /dev/sda<  somefile".
>
> If there was such a wrapper, each distribution could tailor it to its
> own needs to allow (majority of) its users to have a hassle-free
> out-of-the-box working environment.

I actually put together a set of crude scripts to do this, and didn't get very
far down the rabbit hole (I think they're still in the old rescue package).
It would be great it someone were to put some real time into this, but here
are some of the issues that I ran into very quickly:

   - Must handle LVM/LVM2
   - Software RAID (MD)
   - LVM built on RAID
   - Built-in LVM/RAID features in BtrFS
   - Recreating filesystem specific creation options, including
     - Labels and UUID (so you don't break fstab)
     - inode count
     - Advanced features (don't make fs the kernel can't mount)

Hopefully someone else could comment more intelligently on what similar issues
might exist on non-linux systems.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken