Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request

2010-03-16 16:29:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request
From: Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: Bob Cousins <rec AT RCousins DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:59:30 +1300
Bob Cousins wrote:

> - Tape verification option -- verify that the bits read back from the
> tape are the same as those originally written. Spooling to disk makes
> this easier. Also, if a tape fails verification, it should be easy to
> restart the write/verify cycle with new media.

I used to do this, wasting time and increasing wear on my tape drive,
until I discovered that LTO tape drives (hopefully other modern drives
as well), read the data back as it is being written (the read head is
positioned behind the write head). If an error is detected, it writes a
second copy of the data. These will appear as rewrite errors in the
drive error log.

Regards,

Richard