Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request

2010-03-16 14:17:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Enhancements Request
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:15:53 +0000
Hi,

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Bob Cousins wrote:

> - Data staged to disk on the way to tape -- allowing backups to spool
> faster than tapes and when tape drives are full.

I'm pretty sure this already exists.

        http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Data_Spooling.html

> - Explicit capturing of boot and partitioning information for easier
> bare metal restores. (Bare metal restores should be easy and fast for
> all OSes, but that is easier said than done.)

Do you mean backing up the MBR?  That might be nice alright.

> And a couple of really low priority but nice to have ideas:
>
> - Optional system shutdown after backup -- ideal for desktop machines
> which would otherwise be idle for hours.

Can you not just use the hook to run a command after backup with whatever
shutdown command the computer uses?  Admittedly I guess the FD could do it,
but it's not massively difficult.

> - API for database backups -- backing up MySQL's files while live is
> bad. Mysqldump output is big. We need a 'better way.'

One way is using a snapshot, where the system in question supports it.  For
example, if you have your MySQL database on an LVM partition you can stop
(or quiesce) mysql, snapshot, start mysql, mount the snapshot and begin
backing up the data files off the snapshot.  ZFS offers similar:

http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2008/01/snapback-the-joys-of-backing-up-mysql-with-zfs/

Gavin