Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers

2010-03-16 12:51:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:47:23 +0200
"Rodrigo Fernandes" <rodrigoefer AT gmail DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:ed2736a51003160845t40d1e9edgf2ff6fa4b3278829 AT mail.gmail DOT com...
> John,
>
> The Fulls of the weekend are canceled because during the week I have more
> than 200 servers (with small volume data) running full backups. When the
> incremental backups of these servers starts during the weekend my
> bacula-sd stop to responding (I'm using bconsole to check this) and my
> full jobs of the weekend stop to work. I believe it is because of the
> value "Max Concurrent Jobs" in bacula-dir equals "60".

That setting should not cancel anything, it just should make new jobs to
wait until there are less than 60 jobs running before they get started at
all. Though cancellation might occur if wait times exceed limits set in the
conf.

Sounds like the bottleneck might be your Bacula server / database engine hw.
No idea about your environment, but are there available free resources in
machines running dir, sd and catalog at the time when "everything hungs"

I don't have that size of system, but it might be helpful to know something
more about the system... instead of  just "200 servers", how much data to
back up in full / incremental jobs? What backup speed can you get when it
works? How big is the catalog, on which database engine? How much memory in
dir, sd, catalog, what kind of cpus? What kind of media for the backups?

> I think adjusting the values of "Max Concurrent Jobs" in bacula-dir and
> bacula-fd to 200. In my bacula-sd I set this value to 10. This solves the
> problem?

Unless you have several SDs, that 10 is the limiting factor then?

--
Timo