Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers

2010-03-16 11:49:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers
From: Rodrigo Fernandes <rodrigoefer AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:45:55 -0300
John,

The Fulls of the weekend are canceled because during the week I have more than 200 servers (with small volume data) running full backups. When the incremental backups of these servers starts during the weekend my bacula-sd stop to responding (I'm using bconsole to check this) and my full jobs of the weekend stop to work. I believe it is because of the value "Max Concurrent Jobs" in bacula-dir equals "60".

My question is:

How do full backups during the week (starting on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and the incremental backups on Saturday and Sunday without generating problems on fulls backups that run during the weekend?

I think adjusting the values of "Max Concurrent Jobs" in bacula-dir and bacula-fd to 200. In my bacula-sd I set this value to 10. This solves the problem?

I have bacula-client installed on 200 servers

Thanks,

Rodrigo

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I wonder if someone on the list have knowledge about how to climb the bacula
> to backup over 200 servers?  It´s is possible?

Yes of course. Other bacula users on the list do that. I have heard
reports of 1000 machines being backed up by bacula.

> Currently, my "Max Concurrent Jobs" on Bacula-dir, bacula-fd is equal to 60
> and bacula-sd is equal to 10.
>
> I have 50 servers that run the full backup over the weekend (due to the
> large volume of data) and servers with smaller volume of data run the full
> backup during the week. The problem is that due to the large number of
> servers (more than 200 during the week) the incremental backup ends up
> creating problems during the weekend, causing backups Full canceled due to
> problems with bacula-dir (because of the variable max concurrent jobs of
> the file bacula-dir exceeded the 60 jobs).

How does full get canceled? I am confused.

> I was looking at the list of bacula and found an email from Phil Stracchino
> explaining "how the concurrency jobs works".
>
> It's really necessary to create more than 1 bacula-fd to control the jobs?
> (How can I do that. I can use any port?).

I did not look at the Phil Stracchino. Don't you have bacula installed
on all 200 machines?

>I think to set the "Max Concurrent
> Jobs" in bacula-dir and bacula-fd to 100 and limit the "Max Concurrent Jobs"
> in bacula-sd to the number of jobs that I really need, considering the
> problem with incremental backup.
>
> Can anybody have some idea about how to resolve this issue?
>
> My backup server has the bacula version 2.4.4-1 installed via tar.gz in a
> Red Hat Enterprise Server 5.4 x86_64

You should really upgrade to 5.0.1 if possible.

> I appreciate any help right now and apologize for the long text.
>
> Rodrigo Fernandes

John M. Drescher