Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Exchange 2010 plugin backup failure

2010-03-09 04:05:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] Exchange 2010 plugin backup failure
From: Angus Jordan <angus.jordan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:02:51 -0800
Hi there,

I have a client that has recently purchased Exchange 2010 Standard. I
am trying to get it to backup using the plugin included in Bacula
(5.0.1), but apparently this plugin will no longer work with Exchange
2010 and neither is it even recommended for use in Exchange 2007
(although I know it to work correctly with the latter). Here is a link
with some information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/rickhall/archive/2010/02/02/legacy-backup-api-failing-on-hresebackupreadfile-with-hr-0xc7ff1004.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877010.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa580485%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

The error received in Bacula is as follows:

08-Mar 23:29 client-fd JobId 2326: Preparing Exchange Backup for
EXCHANGESERVERNAME
08-Mar 23:29 client-fd JobId 2326: Fatal error: HrESEBackupPrepare
failed with error 0xc7ff1007 - Unknown error.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a way to work around this? I know
that I could simply have a client run before job to initiate a Windows
backup of the Exchange database...but I don't like that option for a
few reasons, mainly since it forces us to have enough space to dump
the data onto so it can be sucked in by Bacula. VSS backup I think is
still an option, but I'm not sure about this yet...

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Angus Jordan