Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] trying (and failing) to get a Quantum Superloader 3 to work with Bacula

2010-02-12 10:02:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] trying (and failing) to get a Quantum Superloader 3 to work with Bacula
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 AT googlemail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:58:37 +0100
shouldbe q931 wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT
> ch> wrote:
>>> I left it running for ~12 hours, BAT was unresponsive, and the web
>>> interface on the library was showing idle :-(
>> are there some suspicous kernel messages ? (dmesg | grep st)
>
> st: Version 20070203, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
> st 0:0:5:0: Attached scsi tape st0
> st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B)

wondering what the "alignment" is. my dmesg shows "alignment 4 B" for
the superloader3.

>  and then further down
>
> st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
> st0: Failed to read 65536 byte block with 64512 byte transfer.

what do you have configured in  your bacula-sd.conf ?

what model is your sas controller? (if it is SAS -> lspci | grep -i sas)

my superloader3 with lto4  (sas interface) drive bacula-sd.conf bits:

Autochanger {
   Name = "SuperLoader3"
   Device = SuperLoader3-LTO4
   Changer Device = /dev/sg4 #
   Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
}

Device {
   Name = "SuperLoader3-LTO4"
   Media Type = LTO-4
   Drive Index = 0
   Autochanger = yes
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
   RemovableMedia = yes;
   RandomAccess = no;
   Alert Command = "sh -c 'sudo tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
   #Offline On Unmount = yes
   Maximum Spool Size = 1000G # optional
   Spool Directory = /srv/spool # optional
#  Based on comments on the ml tese are possible performance boosts
#  Maximum File Size = 5G
#  Maximum Block Size = 262144
#  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
}

>>> Is there a "better" way of doing a scan ?
>> use barcode labels and "update slots" (without scan). then do a "label
>> barcodes" so bacula will write the barcode lables to tape.
>
> Are barcode labels a requirement, or is there an alternative ?

no there is no requirement, but the drive is slow on changing tapes. an
"update slots scan" (for all 16 slots) takes about 20min or so (but not
12h) whereas with barcode labels it takes 5s.

> Apologies, for my bad description, I have been using the GUI version
> of BAT to label the tapes, I know there is the "label" console
> command, but apart from the console in BAT, I haven;t found how to get
> into a CLI console.

the command is "bconsole" for the cli version.

http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/console/console/index.html