Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula project design process

2009-09-27 13:39:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula project design process
From: Bill Merriam <lists AT billmerriam DOT com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:00:38 -0400
Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently several email design threads have pointed out an important
> deficiency
> in the Bacula project that I would like to discuss. We (I) I have already
> designed (mostly in my head) a good number of future projects -- including
> how to support portable clients better, deleting volume on purge, clients
> initiating backups, ...  Often these are put down in sketchy notes and shared
> with the programmer who wants to do the work (mostly Eric).  Generally the
> solutions designed are far more general and complete and already encompass
> much of what is being discussed via email.  The problem is that this process
> is not well defined and is not implemented in a way that a number of users
> can participate or even see what those proposed designs are.
>
> It seems to me that we need a more public way to share Bacula design
> proposal.
> Launchpad has a nice way of doing that (I forgot exactly what they call it),
> but I have recently moved off of Launchpad because as a project manager, I
> was unable to properly structure the project (it seems that only the
> Launchpad programmers can do that), in addition, I found launchpad very
> difficult to navigate.
>
> What we need is either a place where I can publish approved designs (probably
> the web site) or possibly a special design wiki.  At the moment, it is not
> clear to me that a wiki would work well -- the biggest problem is that many
> users don't fully appreciate the Bacula philosophy and how Bacula works,
> which means that it is easy to go off on a tangent.  This is not a criticism
> of anyone, but is meant to point out that designing new features for Bacula
> is very non-trivial and requires a *lot* of work and thought before any
> implementation begins.
>
> I suppose that the first step is for me to write up (or gather up what is
> already written) a few of the designs for ideas that are being discussed on
> the email lists so that you can see the direction I currently favor ...
>
> Does anyone have any comments or ideas on this?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern

Kern,

OpenSuSE uses a feature tracking system they call openFATE.  You can
look at it here:

https://features.opensuse.org/

I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

The comments to this wiki page give information about licensing.
http://news.opensuse.org/2009/01/16/opensuse-project-opens-feature-tracking-with-openfate/
It appears they are encouraging other projects to use it.

The openFATE source code is here:
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/infrastructure/openfate/
The database backend source code is here:
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/sxkeeper/trunk/sxkeeper/

Bill